Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Workspace / My Struggles

I received via our school district's Superintendent the following statistics:
OUR IPSD204 SCHOOL SYSTEM
33 Schools total
1 Pre-school
21 Elementary schools
7 Middle schools
3 High schools
1 Alternative high school
1 Transitional college program

OUR IPSD204 EMPLOYEES
3,124 Employees
70% Teachers with Master’s degree or higher
161 National Board Certified teachers

OUR IPSD204 STUDENTS
29,500 Students
60.7% White
18.5% Asian
9.3% Black
7.4% Hispanic
4.0% Multi-racial
0.1% Native American

OUR IPSD204 DISTRICT
Third largest district in Illinois
46 square miles
Includes portions of Naperville, Aurora, Bolingbrook and Plainfield
Now we have video on-demand at: http://www.204tv.org/

To date, the man who hired me back in September 2004 has just retired. I went to his party back in June. The man who interviewed and then re-hired me back into the district, at the high school level, just got promoted to Principal at one of our Middle schools. My first Dean of Students boss was promoted three years ago to Principal at one of our Middle schools. My second Dean of Students boss just started this summer as a new Assistant Principal for another school district (Schaumburg, IL).  So far, in my capacity as Secretary to the Dean, I have gone through 5 Dean's Assistants for attendance. Still, I am the only male secretary in 33 school buildings, 2 maintenance/warehouse facilities and 1 rather large central district office. Weird, if not anything else. I am grateful to having this position and happy to have a job with such a professionally-driven organization. I have been involuntarily transfered between three buildings, four Dean of Student bosses, five assistants and a partridge-in-a-pear-tree.

I fear I am a target. Admin keeps bouncing me around like this.

I checked with our Union members and no other secretary was bounced around like this, ever, in any IPSD204 school situation, except as a definite promotion. It's a fact that I am not welcomed into the secretarial pool of women who constantly network and compare every little thing as if it were a golden nugget. Most of my perspective has been formulated in silence and observation. I don't have the social skills and memory recall and retrieval capability for names on the spur-of-the-moment (on-demand).

It is a very awkward and uncomfortable place to be isolated when I am surrounded by such capable and talented people. In such a place, I feel simultaniously blessed and challenged to work to connect to others in a faithful, meaningful manner.

May the LORD restrain the very winds of change to protect and provide me a safe workspace.